Thursday, December 1, 2011

Let's Get Real (and an Introduction)

hiding from the truth
Hello and welcome to my blog! I am starting this blog as a means of chronicling my battle and, more importantly, my victory over food. I would not say that I am a food addict but I do use food as a means of comfort and in times of boredom. Of course, neither of these are good reasons for eating and they are unhealthy habits; hence, the blog name reference to gluttony. Unfortunately, my unhealthy eating habits have now led to medical problems.

After the birth of my first son, I put on weight. I gained 70 pounds (only 25 of which was a result of my pregnancy). Using various weight loss methods, I was able to lose most of the weight by 1999...just in time for my second pregnancy. At 7 months of pregnancy, I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes. The gestational diabetes went away with the birth of my second son. I was told that I needed to lose the remaining weight (through healthy eating and exercise) as I was at a high risk for developing diabetes within 5 years. I ignored this warning and ate as I pleased because I wanted to eat what I wanted to eat when I wanted to eat it. I put back on 40 pounds.

Then in 2004, suspecting that I had diabetes, I braved the dreaded doctor visit. It was confirmed that I had in fact developed diabetes. I blamed myself for it. I had failed at my minute attempts to develop a healthy lifestyle. I had not taken my health or this impending medical condition seriously. I let it go and I was reaping the consequences of my poor choices. Now, the diabetes in and of itself has caused additional problems such as GERD, rosacea, eczema, high cholesterol, and a severe over-growth of yeast in my body (called candida) which comes with its own complications. Admitting that I have these conditions is a big move for me because I would rather hide these realities by putting my head in the sand. I would rather not share this truth with anyone. It is an embarrassment to me.

I have decided that I can't live this way any longer. It is time for change. I am taking a step of faith by admitting my medical conditions and by documenting my victory over them.

I hope that you will join me in this quest and even give your input along the way.

Blessings!

Judi

No comments:

Post a Comment