|eggs and bacon, anyone?|
The first order of business is to discover breakfast ideas. I have to avoid fruits, breads, milk/yogurt products, and, of course, pasta, rice, and snack foods. I am also supposed to avoid cheeses but that's a hard one. I think most people do not realize how many carbohydrates are in various foods. I love apples (especially red delicious apples) and, while they are high in fiber, they are also high in carbohydrates. You see, I am only supposed to have 2-3 carb servings (or 30-45 grams) of carbohydrates per meal and 1 carb serving (or 15 grams) of carbohydrates per snack. The large red delicious apples being sold in the stores today have 45-60 grams of carbohydrates. A slice of bread can have between 11 and 20 grams of carbohydrates (even wheat bread). Yes, even yogurt has 20-28 grams of carbohydrates.
I already have a few breakfast ideas (see below). If you have any suggestions, please leave a comment.
- Scrambled eggs (mixed with a little water or whipped egg whites)
- Scrambled eggs with salsa
- Egg bake with fresh veggies, ham and/or bacon
- Omelette with a side of bacon
- Cottage cheese with crumbled bacon bits
- Cottage cheese with sunflower kernels
- Grilled tomato with canadian bacon and dippy egg
These are just a few to start. Now, to find the time to make breakfast before leaving for work at 6 AM!
I would love to hear your feedback.