Monday, December 5, 2011

Let's Start at the Very Beginning

It is time to get started with the changes. Well, let me back up a bit.

oh sugar!
In my introduction, I mentioned the medical conditions that I have: two of which are diabetes and candida neither of which these are fun to deal with (but then again are any medical conditions but pregnancy fun?). The diabetes (high sugar levels) feeds the candida and the candida (overgrowth of yeast/fungi which causes cravings) feeds the diabetes. In my case, the candida seems to be causing more issues than the diabetes itself. So, I feel that I need to respond to the candida first (which will inadvertantly also reflect on the diabetes). So, I did some research on alternative ways of dealing with the candida. I have found that one method of ridding the body of candida is to starve it (the candida, not the body). If the food that candida eats is not available, then it will eventually die. What food does candida eat, you may ask? Well, sugar/carbohydrates of course! Therefore, I must rid my body of sugar for at least 6 months. After reading that information, the great debate ensued in my head: Wait a minute...I am diabetic. How can I cut out sugar and carbohydrates? Eventually, I decided to stop debating with myself and I went to see my Doctor. I told him about the research that I had done and I asked whether or not it was permittable (and safe) for me, as a diabetic, to cut out all carbohydrates. He replied, "Absolutely!" He told me that it was a very good idea and that my body should respond well.

eggs and bacon, anyone?
OK, that's great I thought. But then came my next question. What do I eat for breakfast if I cannot have carbohydrates? So, I asked. He asked if I like eggs and bacon. (Oh do I?!) Next question...aren't they high in fat? He said that something happens to the body when it is starved of carbohydrates. It actually handles the fat content much better. I left his office elated and flying high! I wished that I would have ridden that high and started right away with the changes. Unfortunately, other situations in my life prohibited me from starting right away. So, let's start back at the very beginning with a change in eating.

The first order of business is to discover breakfast ideas. I have to avoid fruits, breads, milk/yogurt products, and, of course, pasta, rice, and snack foods. I am also supposed to avoid cheeses but that's a hard one. I think most people do not realize how many carbohydrates are in various foods. I love apples (especially red delicious apples) and, while they are high in fiber, they are also high in carbohydrates. You see, I am only supposed to have 2-3 carb servings (or 30-45 grams) of carbohydrates per meal and 1 carb serving (or 15 grams) of carbohydrates per snack. The large red delicious apples being sold in the stores today have 45-60 grams of carbohydrates. A slice of bread can have between 11 and 20 grams of carbohydrates (even wheat bread). Yes, even yogurt has 20-28 grams of carbohydrates.

I already have a few breakfast ideas (see below). If you have any suggestions, please leave a comment.

BREAKFAST IDEAS
  • Scrambled eggs (mixed with a little water or whipped egg whites)
  • Scrambled eggs with salsa
  • Egg bake with fresh veggies, ham and/or bacon
  • Omelette with a side of bacon
  • Cottage cheese with crumbled bacon bits
  • Cottage cheese with sunflower kernels
  • Grilled tomato with canadian bacon and dippy egg

These are just a few to start. Now, to find the time to make breakfast before leaving for work at 6 AM!

I would love to hear your feedback.

Blessings!

Judi

No comments:

Post a Comment